the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

How to Help the Less Fortunate This Holiday Season!

Although most of Calvert County’s families are fortunately able to serve food on the table every night, not all their neighbors can say the same. According to End Hunger in Calvert County, over 29,000 people in Southern Maryland are at risk of going hungry, including over 9,000 children. If you want to help but have never donated during the holiday season, here are a few places in Calvert County accepting donations this holiday season.  

End Hunger in Calvert County hosts food drives and pantries all year-round, where they accept donations of canned and non-perishables. End Hunger has incredible volunteering opportunities available to anyone to sign up and help. Registering to help at an End-Hunger community event is a great way to get involved with your local community. If none of those options are feasible to make for people’s schedules, they also have a virtual food drive on their website monetary donations are taken and distributed to families in need across the county. Details of events and food pantry locations are available on their website. 

Churches are one of the most popular donation centers during holiday seasons, and Calvert County has an abundance of donation stations. Chesapeake Church has food pantries and donation centers across the county where people can do drive-by drop offs with food or clothes. People are also able to help sponsor a family’s holiday dinner or volunteer with the church’s community events More churches accepting donations this year include Church by the Chesapeake, Life Church Calvert, Calvert County Baptist Church, and Emmauel Church.  

Including these, there are so many more places to donate to this holiday season to support the less fortunate. Project Echo on Main Street uses all profits to donate to the homeless and also accepts donations all year round.  

Always remember that nothing is too small to donate, and everything makes a difference. Happy Holidays!