Calvert Softball Gaining Momentum: In the Hunt for a State Title

After a disappointing end to the 2021 season, the Calvert High School Softball team has had an auspicious first week of the 2022 season. Starting with a winning record of 2-0 is incredibly promising for the team, coaching staff, and long-time fans of Calvert Softball. The program is growing and gaining momentum as the days go by, in hopes of chasing the state title this year. 

The game schedule began on Monday March 21 where the team traveled to face La Plata High School. As a difficult team to beat in the past, the team entered the game focused and ready to fight for their first win. After only five innings, Calvert ended the game, winning 14-0, scoring 6 of those runs in the fourth inning. 

Calvert showed up for the occasion, including contributions from senior shortstop Karlee Hughes, with three hits and one homerun, junior pitcher Emma DeBoer with 7 strikeouts and only 3 allowed hits, and junior center fielder Megan Chroniger with 2 hits and 2 RBIs. The team played clean and with complete effort, never losing their drive to win. 

“The most satisfying thing about the start of the season is proving that we are not an ‘easy team,” said DeBoer. “Beating La Plata was a good start to the season, and made it feel like we never missed a beat.” 

On Tuesday March 22, Calvert traveled to face long-time rival Patuxent High School. They took care of business early, scoring 10 runs in the second inning and finished the game in the fifth inning with a score of 20-2.  

Every member of the team was rotated in to play, with big contributions from sophomore pitcher Sadie Willis, who had 7 strikeouts and 3 allowed hits, as well as 3 hits and 5 RBIs. Some other notable contributions include freshman right fielder Emily Milam, with 3 hits and 3 runs scored, and sophomore first baseman, Kylie Willis, with 3 RBIs and 2 runs scored.  

On Friday March 25, Calvert was surprised with their first home game, due to field conditions at North Point High School. Without much knowledge about this opposing team, they entered blindly with high energy. They finished the game with their third win, 11-2, with major contributions from DeBoer, who had 13 strikeouts, 1 walk, 3 allowed hits, and 2 RBIs.  

The team also completed their first double play of the season, made by junior second baseman Grace Atherton, Hughes, and K. Willis. Hughes also hit well, contributing with her second homerun of the season, and 4 RBIs. S Willis, playing right field, also had a successful hitting day with 3 hits, 2 RBIs, and 2 runs scored. 

Over the first week of games, the team has been very successful in approaching the game with a positive mindset. With both confidence in their skill, and the motivation to win, Calvert softball has shown the promise that they can maintain a winning record.  

“I am pleased with our business-like approach to games. We show up and get the job done,” said head Coach Lauren Robison. “I am most excited about this team finding their identity. This is the first ‘regular’ season in almost three years. We have to find a way to work as one and row our boat together!” 

Last season, Calvert finished with a winning 10-2 record, and competed in the 2A Maryland State Softball Championship game where they fell to Queen Anne’s High School, 2-1, in extra innings. After this disappointing loss, Calvert has come back hungry for the title that slipped through their fingers. They are working even harder every day to secure their spot in the State Championship this season.  

“I’m most excited to just be able to play and grow with this team. I think we have a lot of great athletes on the field, and after some more team building, we will be even better,” said DeBoer. “I really want to see what happens with this team, because we all have the same end goal of going to the State Championship, and I think it is completely possible for us to get there.” 

The team has a new focus this year, “Intensity, Integrity, and Intent”. The team is moving to make necessary changes to the Calvert Softball program that will aid in strengthening the team atmosphere and individual players. Each member of the team is giving all their effort and striving for greatness in everything they can with one common goal in mind: the State Title.