the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

Marching Band Introduces New Tradition

Ms. Missy Cherry

The Calvert High School marching band, led by new director Ms. Caitlin Piper, introduced a new tradition at the second Varsity football playoff game this fall of walking out onto the field in celebration with the cheerleaders and team.

“The marching band has been an integral part of the varsity football game atmosphere, and since they already play the fight song during the kickoff, I thought it would be a great idea to incorporate the band into creating the tunnel alongside the cheerleaders,” said Ms. Caitlin Piper.

Previously, the CHS Marching Band did not participate in the post-season, but Mrs. Piper is seeking as many opportunities for the band as possible.

“When I initially thought of the idea, I talked to our athletic director, the football coach, and the cheerleading coach,” said Mrs. Piper.

CHS Marching Band members have mixed feelings about this tradition, but all are very excited about the teams’ success and being included in the post-season festivities.

“I think [tunneling with cheer and football] was pretty fun, I am very proud of the team,” said two-year marching band veteran freshman Oliver Russell.

“I like the idea because it lets the band get more involved with the football team, and I think it will help to hype the football players and the crowd. I think their work ethic is fantastic and am very proud of them,” said two-year marching band veteran sophomore Chrystelle Cortez.

Also new this year, when the football team advanced to the post-season and State championships, the marching band went with them. During the post-season, the marching band does not perform its halftime show; instead, they play a variety of stand tunes including Seven Nation Army and Crazy Train.

Hopefully, this is just the start of a lasting CHS Marching Band tradition.

View Comments (1)