the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

Calvert County Fair Crowns 2023 Miss Tranquility and Lord Calvert

Maria Eyler
Lord Calvert, Brett Sheranko and Miss Tranquility, Olivia Eyler

On September 29th, Calvert high senior Olivia Eyler and Patuxent High senior Brett Sheranko were crowned Calvert County’s Miss Tranquility and Lord Calvert, respectively. This years’ runners up for the titles were Calvert High junior Kelly Haina and Calvert High senior Hank Valentin.  

Miss Tranquility and Lord Calvert candidates are Calvert County residents between the ages 16-19. To be considered, students must all submit the application form, transcript, $50 dollar sponsor, and photo. Once the application is submitted, candidates are given an essay prompt in order write a speech, which is the hardest part of the application process. The winners are chosen based off of academic achievement and participation in community and school activities, as well as public speaking ability and skills.   

The responsibilities of the winners coincide with many parts of the fair week. These duties include, but are not limited to, announcing at the fair, handing out ribbons at the livestock shows, participating in the children’s contest,, and many activities during Youth Day. They also participate in the Christmas Parade in December. 

This years’ Miss Tranquility winner Olivia Eyler said, “I believe it is definitely worth applying for, I personally loved it. Not only because of the scholarship money, but also because I was able to represent the organization that played such a large role in my life.”

Winners who fulfill their obligations during fair week receive a $1,250 scholarship. Runners up who fulfil their obligations also receive scholarship funds.  The first runners-up receive $500, and second runners-up receive $250. All applicants who complete the process receive a gift.

Congratulations to our 2023 Calvert County Fair Miss Tranquility and Lord Calvert winners this year.  Students who are interested in applying for next year’s Miss Tranquility and Lord Calvert competition should keep an eye out for application information starting in July of next year and speak with their school counselors.

View Comments (1)