the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

Calvert’s Best Summer Seafood Eats!

Calverts Best Summer Seafood Eats!

Summer on the Chesapeake seems to be in full swing now, with seafood season making a sweeping comeback this year. Blue crabs, seafood boils, and crawfish are back and better than ever. If one is looking for some good seafood places this summer, look no further than Calvert County! Here are some of the best seafood eats to hit up this summer, right in the southern half of Calvert! 

The Lighthouse restaurant, in the heart of Solomons Island, is one of the best waterfront restaurants on the Patuxent River. With vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options, this seafood bar and grill is a great option for the whole family. Its extensive and exciting menu is great for people of all ages, with the flavors to back it up. When stopping by Solomons this summer, make sure to swing by the Lighthouse for some true Maryland cuisine.  

The Pier, located on a dock stretching out of Solomons Island, is also a great seafood eatery in the area. With an open concept dining area, and outdoor seating across the whole restaurant, this restaurant has a true Maryland dining experience for anyone craving it. One of their most famous dishes, a crab dip appetizer, is a one-way ticket to making The Pier a must this summer. With decent prices and a menu full of flavors from the bay, The Pier is a staple for anyone in the area.  

Jerry’s Place, a quaint restaurant located in Prince Frederick, is a highly rated dining experience that anyone who has been can attest to. With a higher price range than the previous two restaurants, Jerry’s Place is a 5-star experience well worth the money spent. Its crabcakes have been a consistent favorite amongst critics and has managed to snag the #1 spot for crabcakes in the county, as well as the state. While not located on the waterfront, it still holds much of the Southern Maryland charm present throughout the entire county. If one is looking to treat themselves or a family member to a nice dinner, Jerry’s is the place to go.  

Vera’s, a lively seafood bar and grill located at the edge of White Sands in Lusby, is a great place for the whole family. With a large menu, a lively atmosphere, and good food to accompany it. A waterfront restaurant a little farther north than Solomons but farther south the Prince Frederick, it is a good middle ground for those wanting a great seafood place right down the road! 

While these are only a few of the many local seafood restaurants in Calvert, they are some of the most popular in the southern half of the county. No matter where one might decide to eat, one really cannot go wrong with any of these seafood restaurants. Happy eating!