Yuletide Carols Being Sung by the Choir

Mrs. Combs and carolers at Prince Fredrick Courthouse Tree Lighting Ceremony

Katharyn MacDonald, Contributor

‘Tis the season for holiday cheer, and members of the CHS Choral Program are bringing it to the doorsteps of many Calvert County communities this month. 

Led by director Mrs. Kelly Combs, Chamber Choir and Music Theatre Choir broke open the books of traditional Christmas carols. They performed at various events across the county. The first of these was the Prince Fredrick Courthouse Tree Lighting Ceremony on December 6. 

“I loved getting together with my choir family and singing songs about one of my favorite holidays,” said sophomore Jacqueline Mancini. 

The singers paid personal visits to some homes in the Prince Fredrick, Port Republic, and Saint Leonard areas on December 7. The residents are a part of the Arc of Southern Maryland, an assisted living community for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 

It was amazing to see the happy faces of people from the Arc when we arrived at their homes to carol,” said junior Madi Epidendio. “It made me remember that one of the reasons I love singing is to bring joy to the world- no pun intended.” 

The holiday performances, dubbed the choral “Holiday World Tour,” did not end there. On December 20, the Music Theatre and Chamber choirs traveled to Calvert Pines Nursing Home, Calvert Country School, Calvert Nursing Home, and the Board of Education, performing part of their repertoire from the ‘Holly Jolly Holiday Concert’ performed Thursday, December 15. On December 21, the Concert Choir joined the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, and Advanced Orchestra on a recruitment trip to Calvert Middle School, Southern Middle School, and Saint Leonard Elementary School. These schools are the alma maters of numerous singers. 

Junior Elizabeth Moler said she is looking forward to being a role model for the young students. “I want to be able to show them that this is what high school chorus looks like, and this is what they could do and be a part of in the future.” 

No matter where they go, the choirs have been received with enthusiasm and holiday spirit from their audiences. “My family loves hearing our chorus sing, so when we get to sing for the community that we live in, it is always a fun time,” said Epidendio. “People at the caroling events have been so kind and thanked us for singing, so it is awesome to be recognized like that!” 

The holidays are all about coming together to enjoy one another’s company and share what brings joy. The chorus students are striving to celebrate this through their art. 

Senior Faith Humphreys said, “My favorite thing about singing during the holidays is being able to bring happiness to others and myself. As Buddy the elf would say, ‘the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!’”