CHS Cross-Country Athletes Excel at Oatland’s Invitational

Madison Conner, Contributor

On Saturday September 11, 2021, the Calvert High School Cross Country team traveled to Oatland’s Plantation in Leesburg, Virginia to participate in the Oatland’s Cross Country Invitational. The invitational includes challenging 5K (3.1 miles) races in Varsity A and B Boys, Varsity A and B Girls, Underclassman Boys, and Underclassman Girls from schools in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. 

There were many successful athletes who placed high in both the boys’ and girls’ races. Senior Kristen Prince placed first place, with a time of 20:43:00 in the Varsity B Girls race, crossing the finish line over 40 seconds before the second-place runner. Junior Jack Hartsig placed third with a time of 18:03:00, and junior David Rodenhaver placed fourth with a time of 18:11:00 in Varsity B Boys race. 

Many new cross-country Members participated in the invitational, and all crossed the finish line proud of their accomplishment. Their completion of the race showed their high potential and devotion to the team. 

“Everyone came out of it with a positive mentality, which is really important in cross-country. The sport is 50% mental, at least. The team aspect is huge,” said Prince. “There is nothing like cross-country. We form a really good bond by going through the same obstacles- whether it is the hardest workout of our lives, or an endurance run- we are all getting though it together. Knowing someone is in the battle with you, by your side, helping you get through it is amazing.” 

The team is represented by 15 seniors, including Ty Misiorek, Gavin Santerre, Duncan Santerre, Brian Kauten, Damien Honda, Jordan Bunting, Olivia Ellison, Ava Jabara, Ella LaVorgna, Kristen Prince, Shayla Singletary, Hannah Smith, Voctoria Vo, Rhyannon Schmidt, and Aleksandra Walsh, who are all looking forward to spending their final season together.  

“This means so much for this season, after having such a rough year with training, we showed up and did so good as a team,” said Singletary.  

Although cross-country had a season during virtual learning, they are excited to spend the final year in mostly normal circumstances, and not have to wear masks.  

The Cross-Country team will travel next to the Paul Short Invitational on October 1, 2021 with high hopes of more placements. The runners are also excited for their only home meet, senior night, on October 13, 2021. With the help of the underclassman, the cross-country team plans to continue their 3-0 record and represent Calvert High.