CHS Choir Enters 97.1 Christmas Choir Competition

Madison Conner

The Calvert High School Choir Department entered 97.1 WASH-FM High School Christmas Choir Competition with their And Heaven and Nature Sing Christmas song mashup to win $5,000 for the school.  

In previous years, teachers around the school heard other high schools performing on the radio contest and gave choir Director, Mrs. Kelly Combs, the idea to enter. Before Thanksgiving break this year, Mrs. Combs mashed up a series of Christmas songs and taught her creation to the CHS Choir so they could submit their entry to WASH-FM just before the cut-off date.  

During Mrs. Combs’ two-hour commute to CHS, she listened to a series of Christmas songs and could hear how they fit together. Already a fan of creating new sounds and harmony, she created her own Christmas song mash-up.   

The medley consists of Carol of the Bells, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Venite Adoremus, Joy to the World, Gloria in Excelsis Deo, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. 

Mrs. Combs says winning the contest, “would be a big source of pride, not only for our musical, skills but the support everyone has shown us… it’s just a giant hug from the community knowing that people would support us and vote for us.” 

Round 2 of the voting began on December 8 at noon, and the top three choirs from each division with the most votes advanced to this final round of voting that concluded on December 15. 

The Toby + Chilli Morning Show announced the winner on Monday, December 16th at 8:10 am. The top  DMV High School choir, Charles J. Colgan High School, was be given the opportunity to be a part of a special check presentation on December 20 on the iHeartRadio Sound Stage, as well as receive their $5,000 prize. 

The Choir department planned on donating a portion of their prize money to a charity they collectively decided on, had they won.  Though Calvert did not win the prize, they are proud of the exposure they have received and the support they were shown during the holiday season.