CHS Mock Trial team advances to round 2 of regionals

Angel Kontra, Editor

The Calvert High School Mock Trial team’s most recent victory again Ryken High has qualified them for advancement to round two in regional competition.  

Accompanied by team sponsor’s Ms. Margaret Land and Mrs. Dawn Lister, the defense gave their third presentation of the 2018-19 case: Maryland v Tannen.  

For the first round of regionals on Wed March 27, the team traveled to the Upper Marlboro Circuit Court to compete against St. Mary’s Ryken. 

Not only were stakes high due to the advanced level of competition, but both teams knew the opposers case. Like the last district competition, Ryken competed on behalf of the prosecution and Calvert competed on behalf of the defense. 

Seniors Dominic Fiore, Clare Thompson, and Angel Kontra competed as the team’s defense attorneys. With knowledge of the opposing attorneys’ questions and witness responses, CHS’s defense was prepped with solid objections and a polished case.  

Seniors Gabrielle Bubin and McKenzie Eller, and junior Emily Shrieves competed as the team’s defense witnesses. With experience under their belts and mastery of their characters, each witness gave an outstanding performance scoring a 4/5 in their respective categories.  

The competition came to a very close victory for Calvert, with a 47-48 score by the pre-determined “tie-point.” Team members Fiore and Shrieves were awarded all-star recognition as well. 

The victory means Calvert High will move on to compete against Parkdale, the next victor in the scoring bracket. The competition will be held Wed March 6 at the Prince George’s Circuit Court. 

Spectators are welcome to watch; if interested in watching please alert sponsors Ms. Land or Mrs. Lister. Be sure to congratulate the team on their amazing performance this season and wish the prosecution luck as they prepare to present their case. Reference the Courier at thechscourier.com for any summary of previous competitions and for further updates on the season.