Calvert High’s Defense Wins Against McDonough High School

Angel Kontra, Editor

The Mock Trial team attended its third competition against McDonough High School in La Plata at the Port Tobacco Historic Courthouse, on Tuesday Feb 6.  

Accompanied by sponsors, Mrs. Katie Kotowski and Mrs. Margaret Land, the team’s defense was successful in their first presentation of the 2018 Mock Trial case: Slater v. Kapowski.  

Juniors Dominic Fiore and Clare Thompson, and sophomore Gracie Bradford competed as the defense attorneys. Their inquisitive questions in both direct and cross examination kept McDonough’s witnesses on their toes. Juniors McKenzie Eller, Angel Kontra, and Ashley Smith competed as witnesses for the defense. Their composure and knowledge of the case aided them in holding their case on the witness stand.  

The presiding judge, Mr. John Quinn, ruled in favor of the plaintiff; however, he found Calvert’s defense to be the victor in competition. Additionally, team members Bradford and Eller were recognized as team all-stars.  

The team’s defense will compete again Tuesday, Jan 13. With one more win, Calvert will finish undefeated in their circuit, and qualify for advancement into regional competition. Be sure to congratulate the team on their success and look out for the results of next week’s competition.