Calvert High’s Mock Trial Team Continues Winning Streak in their Second Competition

Angel Kontra, Editor

The Mock Trial team attended its second competition against La Plata High School at the Calvert County Circuit Court on Wednesday, Jan 31.

The team accompanied by sponsors Mrs. Katie Kotowski and Mrs. Margaret Land, were again able to come out victorious in their presentation of the 2018 Mock Trial case: Slater v Kapowski.

Juniors Nicholas Smith and Ryan Wojciechowski, and senior Gabriella Chambers competed as attorneys for the plaintiff. Likewise, Juniors Gabrielle Bubin and Kyle Thomas, and sophomore Destiny Johnson competed as plaintiff attorneys. Through consideration of the critiques from their last competition, members were able to revise their direct and cross examination questions and responses to make their presentation even stronger against La Plata’s defense.

The presiding judge, Mrs. Liza Castles, ruled in favor of the plaintiff’s claim and against the defendant’s counterclaim, as well as determining Calvert the winner in competition. Additionally, members Wojciechowski and Thomas received all-star recognition.

Hopefully, the team is able to continue their winning streak as the defense competes in their next competition on Tuesday, Feb 6. Be sure to listen up for the results of next week’s competition and congratulate the team members on their success.