the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

Sunscreen Season Quickly Approaches

Sunscreen Season Quickly Approaches
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

As spring makes its way through the end of April and all of May, it is important that as the sun gets brighter, one’s skin does not. Applying sunscreen every day, on one’s face, arms, and anywhere else that their skin may be showing is a super important habit that should be practiced by everyone and started as early in life as possible. If one is on the fence about wearing sunscreen, here are a few reasons why you definitely should. 

Many people enjoy looking sun kissed, tanning in the summertime when the UV rays are strong enough. Many people are also under the belief that sunscreen inhibits the production of melanin in one’s skin, which is how one’s skin becomes tanned. This rhetoric leads a lot of people not wearing sunscreen when they are the most vulnerable in the sun, even if they should be wearing it every day. 

According to the Cleveland Clinic, anyone over the age of six months should be wearing sunscreen every day, even if you are indoors. The sun’s UV rays infiltrate through windows, blinds, and even cloud cover. If someone goes out on a rainy day without sunscreen, they are still vulnerable to the sun’s rays and liable to get burned. Washington State, one of the rainiest places in the United States, has some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the country. This is because people think clouds block the UV rays, when it reality, they only block light.  

It all goes to say that sunscreen is important, and so is reapplying sunscreen. If one is looking to age gracefully and prevent wrinkles, sunscreen is a great way to make sure one’s skin stays youthful. Sunscreen has so many upsides and almost no downsides to it, so why not start now? It is never too late to take care of one’s skin, even if someone might feel like it is.