the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

How to Prioritize Self Care During the Pre-Spring Break Slump

During the awkward period between the end of winter break and the start of the heavily anticipated spring break, it is easy to get swept up in the endless amounts of anxiety that are attached to the constant stream of assignments and projects. Though staying committed to course work is important, that can’t happen without the active implementation of self-care. Here are three tips to help balance a work/life relationship with school and mental health. 

The first tip is to create daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for the different goals and needs that one may have during that duration of time. According to an article titled “On the List! The Many Benefits, for Students and Educators, of List-Making” from the Virginia Education Association, “Making lists is one of the most effective ways to distill thoughts into brief, clear statements while establishing problem-solving skills, developing prioritized tasks and introducing the value of a personal writing practice.” Practicing something as simple as organizing jumbled thoughts into a list can juristically benefit mental health and henceforth create peace in both school life and home life. 

Another way to help balance one’s routine is having an equal amount of social connection to alone time. An article from HelpGuide.org states that “Humans are social creatures with emotional needs for relationships and positive connections to others.” Instead of abandoning the need to have social connections, take advantage of the opportunity to bond with family and friends. Go see a movie, have dinner, or simply just chat with loved ones to steer the mind away from certain strenuous tasks. When the time comes and the social battery fills up, find a place of comfort and have peace individually. 

The last tip to calm anxious thoughts is to distract yourself. There is only so much planning for the future and hunkering down on important tasks that the mind can take, so finding effortless activities to distract yourself is a simple pleasure that should be taken advantage of. An article from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America recommends to “Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.” Anything to steer away from the stressor at hand, like doing a puzzle or just watching T.V can relax the brain and serve as a perfect distraction. 

Though it can seem so daunting to pull away from schoolwork, allowing a break between assignments and during projects can benefit the overall quality of work that is getting done. When practicing list’ making and prioritizing a healthy balance between social connection and alone time, school is not as intimidating as it seems.