the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

A Christmas Movie Playlist That Seriously Sleighs

rawpixel.com
Christmas tree in cozy living room. Free public domain CC0 photo.

Though there is a lot of hustle and bustle around the holiday season, one of the best ways to enjoy the season is to sit down with your favorite holiday themed drink and some popcorn to watch movies. There is a wide selection of holiday films to choose from, ranging from Christmas classics that bring you nostalgia, to quirky little holiday romances. Here are some that are definitely worth watching. 

There are certain Christmas classics that deserve to be watched all year long because they are seriously just that good. A film that would be in the category of “Year-Round Holiday Cheer” is the 2003 comedy, Elf (PG) featuring Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel. This comedy follows the story of Buddy played by Will Ferrell who was accidentally taken and transported to the North Pole at birth to be raised by elves. He eventually realizes his differences and sets off to New York city to find his real dad. This is definitely a classic to keep at the top of the list and can be found on Amazon Prime Video, Max, and Hulu with a subscription. 

For a bit of a movie marathon, The Santa Clause movies are the perfect option. This franchise includes three movies: The Santa Clause (PG), The Santa Clause 2 (G), and The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (G). All of these are appropriate for younger audiences, the movie marathon can be a family function. The first film follows a divorced dad as he undergoes a bizarre transformation and must leave his old life behind to take on the role of Santa Claus, the next two detail the trials and tribulations that he experiences in the duration of his Santa Claus career.  

Taking it back to 1951, Scrooge (not rated) also known as A Christmas Carol is one of those movies that your parents label as a “must watch” and therefore, make you sit down and watch it. There have been updated versions throughout the years, dating as recently as 2022 with Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (G). The plot to the Christmas carol movies all stay generally the same where a businessman, Ebenezer Scrooge, is visited by the ghost of his former business partner as well as the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future. The original 1951 version of Scrooge can be found on PLEX for free or Amazon Prime Video with a premium subscription, but the newer 2022 version can be found on Netflix.  

If the vibes are romantic, there are also plenty of holiday themed choices from which to choose. Love Actually (R) is a romantic comedy set in the wintertime following nine loosely intertwined love stories in London, England. It can be found on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and AMC+ all with a subscription. As an honorable mention of the romance genre, especially during the Christmas season, the Hallmark Channel has a plethora of options. There are 42 Christmas themed Hallmark movies premiering this season ranging from Magic in Mistletoe, a sweet love story between an author and publicist, to To All a Good Night, a small-town photographer who saves a mysterious man’s life. All Hallmark movies have their scheduled airing dates on the Hallmark Channel, but some are also available on Peacock. 

Finally, there are two holiday new releases, one also being of the romantic comedy genre, Exmas (PG-13). This film follows Graham who decided to surprise his family for the holidays, only to find out his ex-fiancée is already celebrating with them. Candy Cane Lane (PG) is another recommended new release featuring Eddie Murphy who makes a deal with a mischievous elf who casts a spell that brings the 12 days of Christmas back to life. 

There is no better time to lean into the festivities and one of the best ways to do it is through watching a Christmas movie surrounded by family and friends.