the Courier

The student voice of Calvert High School.

the Courier

the Courier

A Fang-tastic Halloween Movie Playlist for This Spooky Season!

Autumn is the perfect season to cozy up on the couch with a warm cup of apple cider and watch a classic fall film. Here is the perfect spooky movie playlist ranging from family friendly favorites to creepy new releases and scary classics. 

For those who are looking to enjoy a movie night with the family, the options are endless. The 1998 film Halloweentown (PG) is the perfect way to kick off this cozy night in as the main character Marnie learns that she is a witch on her thirteenth Halloween. If you would like to turn this movie night into a marathon, there are three more where that came from, all available with a Disney Plus subscription or airing on the Disney Channel on Halloween night. 

Another family friendly favorite is The Little Vampire (PG), a heartfelt tale starring an only child Tony and his vampire best friend Rollo as they fight off a ruthless vampire hunter. The Little Vampire is available for free on Tubi and has an animated version available on Amazon Prime Video with a subscription. 

Of course, it would be a shame not to mention some of Halloween’s greatest classics, so I won’t disappoint. Starting off strong, the 1996 slasher film Scream (R) is the perfect place to start. This classic follows a masked maniac who stalks high school students in middle class suburbia. There are a total of six films in the Scream franchise, featuring some of each generation’s best actors from Drew Barrymore to Jenna Ortega. This franchise can be found on Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+, and VUDU with a subscription.  

The 1976 film Carrie (R) is another classic worth watching this Halloween if you are looking for something a bit scarier. It features cult classic actor of the late 70’s, John Travolta, and follows a shy teenage girl Carrie White played by Sissy Spacek as she figures out that she has supernatural powers. This movie can be found on Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Max with a subscription.  

There are also a couple of spooky new releases worth noting if in need of something fresh. A Haunting in Venice (PG13) came out on September 15th, detailing the story of a man who enters a world of sinister shadows when someone gets murdered at a séance he attends. This movie is still available in theaters and will soon be available for subscribers of Hulu. Totally Killer (R) came out on October 6 on Amazon Prime Video and is a slasher film which goes through the story of an infamous killer that makes a return 35 years later to claim a fourth victim. 

As an honorable mention, “31 Nights of Halloween” on Freeform is airing some first-class Halloween picks such as Hotel Transylvania (PG), Hocus Pocus (PG), and Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG).  

Whether the vibe is Halloween nostalgia or running up the stairs in fear after the movie ends, this list will definitely come in candy (wink, wink!). 

View Comments (1)