CHS Educates Young Drivers with Mock Crash

Madison Conner, Editor

On April 25, Calvert High School’s Criminal Justice senior class partnered with the Chesapeake Region Safety Council to educate the junior class on the effects of distracted, impaired, and reckless driving. As a part of distracted driving awareness month, the organizations simulated a car crash that took place on Dares Beach Road West and Prince Frederick Boulevard, involving two cars and five minors.  

A red vehicle, driving 20 mph over the speed limit, ran a red light and t-boned a purple vehicle. The driver in the red vehicle, played by senior Jett Micciche, was extracted first, visibly impaired. Next, the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department Rescue Squad 2 extracted two passengers from the purple vehicle, played by seniors Duncan Santerre and Autumn Foster, both in need of medical attention. Finally, the funeral home extracted two deceased individuals, played by seniors Zach Childress and Kaylee Sandoval, one of whom was not wearing a seatbelt.  

I learned how long it takes to rescue a person; I was shocked by how long it takes when someone is trapped. It was good learning experience to understand it better,” said junior Erin Kelley. 

Following the presentation, the junior class made their way to the auditorium where they heard  testimony from the mother of a 19-year-old boy who passed away in a car accident, as a passenger in a car with three others. Speed was a major contributing factor to the accident, and the presenter emphasized the importance of safe driving and wearing a seatbelt.  

The mock crash was performed with the intention of educating students and new drivers on the dangers of irresponsible driving. Many students were brought to tears and felt the impact of the stories that were presented.  

“We wanted them to learn how first responders handle a crash and why they take certain actions and that there are consequences to bad decisions,” said Ms. Dawn Lister, Criminal Justice teacher and organizer of the event.  

Every year, Mock Crash is brought to CHS to encourage new drivers to practice safe habits. By teaching these young drivers about the reality of how much of a responsibility driving is, it is hoped that injuries and deaths caused by neglecting basic safety precautions are minimized.