CHS Senior Hutch Valentin is named Lord Calvert

Madison Conner, Contributor

The Miss. Tranquility and Lord Calvert competition is a scholarship program that is run by the Calvert County Fair board where students can apply to win a variety of prizes. The scholarship competition is based on community service, public speaking, and scholastic accomplishments. Calvert High School senior Hutch Valentin won the title Lord Calvert. 

To apply, students filled out an application form, comparable to a job application, that requested insight into their personal and scholastic lives. After the application was received, the fair board released the required information needed to participate other aspects of the competition. This year’s application had a quick turnaround. 

Applicants also met in the main building at the Fair Grounds and completed a short essay answering a prompt provided by the committee. From there, applicants composed an autobiographical speech with a minimum length of three minutes. Prior to delivering the speech, each applicant was required to meet with the judges for a personal interview. On the day of the main event, the speech was given, and the judges scored it against other competitors.  

Shortly after, the winners of the titles Lord Calvert and Miss Tranquility were announced, followed by the runners-up. The winners of the 2021 competition were Lord Calvert, Koby “Hutch” Valentin, from Calvert High School, and Miss Tranquility, Gabrielle Fox, from Huntingtown High School. First runner up was Hailey Pierce, from Patuxent High School, second runner up was Amber Gieske, from College of Southern Maryland (formerly HHS), and third runner up was Megan Humm, from Northern High School. 

After accepting the title, winners spent time at the Calvert County Fair per day and volunteered where they were needed. This included delivering ice or working an event, such as the animal auctions or the tractor pull. 

As Lord Calvert, Valentin was awarded a $1,250 scholarship to the school of his choice to put towards college expenses such as room and board.  

It was a lot of fun. You get to meet and talk with a lot of people. You learn how to be a better leader, and it gives you an insight of the work that is put in for the fair to happen every year,” said Valentin.  

After winning the competition, Valentin continues to embody the “Cavs CARE” traits (Community, Academics, Responsibility, and Empathy) and make the CHS community proud of his dedication to his academics and extracurriculars.