How School Should Continue in the Fall: McKenzie Conner

McKenzie Conner

Dr. Curry,  

During these unprecedented times, there are many uncertainties that we face regarding when and how to transition back to our normal lives. It must be determined, first and foremost, how we are going to do this safely. For the sake of our student’s future, we must make a decision that will bring us as close to normal as we can without compromising the health of the community. The bottom line is that we need to get our children back to school as soon as we can. A gradual transition back into school, starting with primary education students and ending with all public-school students returning, would allow us to do this while keeping up with CDC and other government guidelines. 

Overall, students seem to be adjusting to distanced learning fairly well, but there is no way to know how long this success will last. How long do we expect these students to coordinate their own learning? Elementary school students are not mature enough to regulate their own development, including learning and other health related behaviors such as exercise, eating healthy, and resting. These must be monitored by an adult to ensure that the child is establishing healthy habits. At home, children are more susceptible to making poor choices. Physicality has decreased during the pandemic as we have been ordered to stay inside. Exercise during this time is important because it can boost the immune system, prevent weight gain, and reduce stress (danbyryhospital.org). The increase in screen-time, linked with excessive snacking, is unhealthy for anyone but especially for an impressionable child in the midst of their development. Parents go to work, and children fend for themselves at home. This leaves them vulnerable to both physical and mental dangers that could potentially have a huge impact on these young lives. 

As quarantine continues, children face other health-related risks as well. “Research shows that increased stress levels among parents is often a major predictor of physical abuse and neglect of children” (Child Psychologist Yo Jackson, PhD, American Psychological Association). Because of at-home and economic stress, there is an increased possibility of child abuse. For many students, school is a safety net. Therely on schools for meals, companionship, and emotional support. They need access to their guidance counselors and other resources provided by schools. Many students rely on the support from these professionals during a normal school year, and they need the same now. Getting students back in school will grant them access to the support resources they need. We need to prevent more damage from occurring and reverse what has already happened as a result of COVID-19. We must get our children back to their classrooms as soon as possible.  

It is true that the effects of quarantine have devastated our families from the beginning and keeping them safe is the top priority. A lot of people believe that going back to school in the fall is a big risk. However, staying at home could lead to greater consequences, especially for younger students. Primary education is critical to any child’s future because of the fundamental skills taught. Because letting our elementary school students go back to school is so important, we must use any available resource we have. Empty secondary school buildings can be used to spread our small groups of students to reduce the possibility of spreading the virus. Concerns about teachers have arisen but it is possible to enlist college students, substitutes, and teachers from other schools. There have been many other ideas proposed, such as taking temperatures and spreading desks, all of which can also be used to reduce the stretch of COVID-19. Because we have the ability to get our kids back in school safely, we need to take advantage of it. 

No one knows how to handle the problems we, as a country, are facing right now. There isn’t a book, a law, a case, or anything to help us navigate this crisis. All we can do is research, reason, and take action. We have the resources to get elementary schoolers back (integrating older students as time passes), we know precautions we can take to prevent spread, and we know what we risk if we don’t get our students back in school.  

Signed,                                                                

McKenzie Conner 

Calvert High School  

Class of 2022