A farewell to CHS

Angel Kontra, Editor

Dear staff and students 

Hi, my name is Angel Kontra and I’m the current editor of Calvert High’s newspaper, the Courier. I know a lot of people don’t know about our little online publication, but it’s become my child and my mission to put as much content as I can on it. (PS I think I did a pretty good job, my past articles are interesting-read them! Please and thank you.) Anyway, I felt it was important to go out with a bang and make my last farewell super special; I’ve written plenty of advice articles on topics from confidence to organization to getting your life together, and today I want to finish with 10 pieces of advice for the senior classes to come, and a little goodbye.  

Beginning with the most gross sounding one- college research. I’m sure by now you have an idea of where you plan to apply or what you want to do, (if you don’t that’s okay), but make sure you know what desired colleges/ universities require and have at least three definite choices. Many applications are due by November 1st, and there’s no time to waste. Believe me, the month of October goes by faster than you think, and you don’t want to be stuck wasting time that could be going into perfecting your applications.  

Next, take advantage of the perks that come with being a senior; implement seminars, early release, and late arrival to help you keep up with your work and keep stress to a minimum. Maintaining the motivation to strive for the best grades possible is just as important in you last year of high school; many colleges require beginning of year and mid-year transcripts to determine acceptance. Creating a stress-free schedule filled with classes/ electives that are interesting to you will be a foundation for making a great school year and solid application.  

On the same note, divide required and “fun” credits evenly. Take classes that benefit you in deciding/ getting accustomed to your college major or career path. AP classes are beneficial to prep for college class structure and for earning credits early, but at the same time, photography and woman’s history are enjoyable and display diverse interests. Balance is everything. 

My last academic related piece of advice is to get involved in at least one club or extracurricular activity. There are so many opportunities you miss when you don’t try new things- maybe you’ll discover you’re great at softball, or you’re really passionate about student council, or you’re an amazing artist. Not only will new opportunities arise, but new friends, experiences, and passions will be made. Clubs and extracurriculars look great on applications, but more importantly, they give you a chance to make memories.  

Now onto the more icky, scary social advice: you’re going to lose friends, and guess what… that’s okay. People are meant to be in your life for a reason, and when it’s their time to go, don’t stop them. If a friend has developed new interests, become part of another friend group, become toxic, or unsupportive of your passions and future plans, don’t use the excuse “we’ve been friends forever.” Everyone changes, and just because there are years of friendship, there is absolutely no reason for someone to stay in your life that is holding you back from what you want to do.  

On that same note, make friends everywhere you go. Underclassmen are cool, and you were literally one of them just a few years ago. You’ll have lots to talk about as you already went through the same classes, social issues, and growing-up struggles that they’re going through. Upperclassmen don’t have a free pass that says “I’m better than them” so get out of that mentality and be the supportive friend your past-self needed.  

Be as outgoing as you can, these people will never see you again and probably will remember you with admiration if you were the one to have the biggest tutu during spirit week. The people that make mean comments are lame and definitely aren’t having as much you, remember that always.   

Take as many pictures and videos of yourself and the people around you. When you look back through yearbooks, your camera roll, your scrap books, you’ll want to see what you looked like. The places you go may change a little, maybe a new building here or there, however, that place at any time won’t feel as special if you’re not there with the people you love.  

Leave the year with zero regrets. Don’t let anyone- including teachers, other staff, and peers- to treat you or your friend like you are less than. Set the example for the next class under you, and believe me, your kindness will go a long way.  

Finally, this will be the most stressful, weird time of your high school career. You will be happy to graduate and move on, sad to leave behind what you know, and scared of what is to come. All these emotions are completely normal, and Calvert High is filled with so many people to talk to that will help you get through it. Make the best of everyday, take a nap if you need to, go get your favorite thing from Chick-fil-a to relax, and pet a dog. Also, never forget to breathe- inhale, exhale, one foot in front of the other.  

I want to end my letter with a thank you. Thank you for reading my words today and thinking about them, hopefully they meant something to you. Thank you to everyone who has helped me grow into the intelligent young woman I am today. I would specifically like to say thank you to anyone that has been unkind to me, you all have helped me prove you wrong. Thank you to Mrs. Costello for making me laugh every morning for the past four years and for always believing I will do great things. Thank you to Mr. King, Mr. Redden, Mrs. Andreasen, Mrs. Wallmark, Ms. Wolber, Mrs. Stover, Mrs. Ratcliff, and Mrs. Land for supporting my many aspirations and never doubting my abilities. To everyone that I couldn’t specifically name, thank you for your efforts to help me grow.  

Be grateful for the people in your life, and I wish you the best experience possible.  

Most Sincerely,  

Angel Kontra, 2018-19 Editor of the Courier