All About FFA

All About FFA

Angel Kontra, Editor

Extracurriculars at Calvert High School are diverse and numerous. With such a broad array, it can be hard to choose what to join. In this “All About…” series, the Courier will be constructing profiles on the various clubs at CHS to both showcase each organization and their objectives help our fellow Cavaliers get involved.  

In the first edition of the series, the Courier will explore Calvert High’s 2018-19 chapter of the FFA.  

FFA stands for Future Farmers of America, but do not let this title be misleading. FFA is for anyone interested in a career in production farming, teaching, chemistry, biology, medicine, business, etc. It is an intra-curricular student organization that emphasizes leadership and agricultural education and provides members with hands-on experience.  

Sponsored by Mr. Charles Gustin, the 2018-19 chapter of CHS’s FFA currently has 15 members. This year’s officers are President Alexis Marshall, Vice President Emily Sears, Secretary Emily Gibson, Treasurer Ann Rerig, and Reporter Haley Moore.  

FFA activities include: leadership workshops and conferences, team bonding and educational filed trips, and fundraising. Officers meet once a week, in addition to the all members meetings that occur once a week.  

“FFA is a national organization that ensures agricultural awareness and involvement in our youth today. Here at Calvert High School, we are a group of young people who are passionate and care very much about keeping FFA alive in this day and age. We also take pride in the fact that we get to know each other personally and spend bonding time together,” said Marshall when asked to comment on the organization.  

If interested in joining FFA, visit Mr. Gustin’s room 217 in the science hallway, ask any of the officers listed above, or come out to the Fun Show at King’s Landing Park on Saturday, October 27 from 9 am- 4 pm.  

The organization has 669,989 student members nationwide, and 8,630 local chapters across the 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. For additional information, visit ffa.org.