The Calvert High School Marching Band

The Calvert High School Marching Band
1513818933:17

17

Christen Holmes, Contributor

On Saturday, September 16, the Calvert High School Marching Band participated in their first competition for the 2017-2018 season. They compete with the organization USBANDS in category 1A and scored a 75.2 out of the 100 total points, receiving 2nd place out of the three bands.

The band arrived at Calvert early Saturday morning to begin practicing at 8:30AM. After rehearsal, they traveled to St. Mary’s County to perform their show, Les Miserables, at Great Mills High School.
The popular award winning broadway musical ‘Les Mis’- originally a novel of historical fiction- is set in 19th century France. Jean Valjean, a prisoner, breaks his parole to become a changed man. This begins the epic tale of greed, love, power, and death.
The marching band show features four songs from the musical: “Work Song/At the End of the Day”;”I Dreamed a Dream”, featuring a horn and trumpet duet played by Austin Olewnick, grade 10, and Sarah Malone, grade 11; “Attack on Rue Plumet”;and “One Day More”. On Saturday, the band only performed the first three movements because the last song is not complete.

On September 25, the Marching Cavaliers head to Chopticon High School to compete and continue to raise their score.