Realistic Resolutions: Grade Edition

Realistic Resolutions: Grade Edition

A new year signifies a fresh start. If grades aren’t up to par or work in general has been a struggle, now is the time to get back on track. Honors classes, Advanced Placement (AP), grades and grade point average (GPA) seem minor now, but they reflect work ethic. If a college or even future employer sees poor drive, interest, or quality-work, why would they consider an applicant qualified or fit? It seems as though this idea of perfect grades is unreachable or uncool to achieve; however, there is value in education. Think of it from this perspective: some people are banned from any sort of education or do not have the same opportunities as public school students. Take advantage of the opportunity by using these ideas to revive motivation.

One of the freedoms high school students benefit from -that is often overlooked-is the ability to select what classes they want to take to receive their credits. This allows students to make smarter decisions when choosing classes. If a student knows their strong-suits are in English, it would make sense for them to challenge themselves with an AP class in that subject. In conjunction, if a student is not as proficient in math, it might be a smart idea for them to stick with an honors course. A high school schedule does not necessarily have to be filled entirely with AP classes. A student should select classes based on the subjects in which they excel, classes from which they feel would benefit from, or points of interest.

Next, having some sort of organization will forever be important to achieving good grades. If a student is unable to remember what assignments need to be done or when they are due, he or she can purchase a planner or set phone reminders. Color coding study guides, folders, or notes will help to keep everything in order. Looking at a colorful piece of paper with all the essential details highlighted is easier to study verses a piece of black and white text. Having distinct folders or binders for each subject will minimize the amount of misplaced work as well. School can become more manageable when a student has his or her workload in order.

Finally, take advantage of the one hour lunch. The one glorious hour where students get a break through their school day doesn’t seem like a great time to do school work, but it completely is. There are teachers available to answer any questions or help with difficult assignments. There is also more motivation to complete work because the work load later won’t be as heavy. Sometimes in a home environment it is tempting to relax or procrastinate, whereas schoolwork feels more appropriate to be completed at school. In addition, the lack of cell service helps to cancel out distractions. If a student wisely manages his/her time, work can be completed faster, and more efficiently.

Again, achieving good grades does not have to be unreachable. Take suitable classes, create organization, and take use of free-time wisely. Make this year a successful one!