How to Not be a Nervous Mess

How to Not be a Nervous Mess

Angel Kontra, Editor

Sometimes life can hit us like a (metaphoric) bus, and then expect us to continue to keep going. Keeping a healthy mental state can be very difficult; however, it is extremely important. Seeing a doctor of therapist can be beneficial to aid in coping, but, here a few of the ways to destress at home.

To begin, acquiring time management skills can help decrease daily stress. One helpful way to manage goals and daily responsibilities is using a planner or agenda. Planners can be purchased almost anywhere and, are inexpensive. They help to get a visual of what needs to be done and what has already been accomplished.

Along with planning, working ahead is just as important. For example, if the workload is piling up, ask teachers for the assignments in advance. This gives more time to complete whatever the assignment may be, and plan around other classes’ work or any other responsibilities.

In addition to scheduling work time, be sure to schedule down time. Plan for one day in the week to have no work and relax. Having a balance between work and rest is essential to keeping a healthy state of mind. Not completing anything and procrastinating just creates more stress and at the same time, working too much has the same effect.

Also, make time throughout the week to workout as well. Exercising provides benefits to both the body and the mind. Running, boxing, playing a sport- can help relieve some of the pent up stress. When engaging in exercise, the body pumps endorphins. These are chemicals that interact with the pain receptors trigger a positive feeling similar to morphine. However, endorphins do not lead to dependence or addiction, so find an exercise that’s sparks interest and stick to it.

Along with work, sleep is vital for keeping a healthy mental state. High school-aged students should be getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep. Often, students are sleep-deprived, effecting their focus, moods, work ethic, and ultimately contributing to more stress. A period of rejuvenation of the brain happens during sleeping hours. Overworking the brain will make the day’s work more complicated, slower, and more difficult. Even taking a 20 minute nap in between can renew energy.

Overall these small changes in lifestyle can have a major impact daily routines.  Mental health affects almost all aspects of life including actions, thought processes, and social-well-beings. Take mental health seriously: get help when it’s needed, know what triggers nervousness, and be aware of the surrounding environment.